What is Tooth Sensitivity?
Tooth sensitivity refers to a condition in which the dental patients feel a very sharp and sudden pain or discomfort in teeth while enjoying a favorite meal or drink. It is one of the most common complaints among many dental patients. Even the slightest change in food temperature can trigger this kind of sudden pain, such as eating or drinking something very cold (ice cream) or very hot (coffee).
The good thing is that this pain usually does not last for very long, but if you keep on exposing your teeth to extreme temperatures, you may need to visit a Bangkok dentist to get it fixed and get rid of this sharp pain forever.
What Causes Tooth Sensitivity?
It is only when the outer protective layer of the teeth called enamel gets worn down, fractured, or chipped or the gums have receded that we get sensitive teeth. Once the enamel gets damaged, thousands of sensitive nerves leading to the tooth's nerve center (pulp) get exposed and the teeth get prone to feeling the pain from the slightest change in temperature or pressure.
There are several factors that can contribute to damaging the outer protective layer (enamel), causing dentin to become exposed, or encourage gum recession. Let us have a look at a few of those contributing factors:
- Using a hard-bristled toothbrush or brushing too hard
- Teeth grinding or clenching can also result in wearing down the enamel
- Applying very harsh tooth whitening products/chemicals on the teeth
- Regular use of concentrated and low-quality mouthwashes can also damage the enamel
- Buildup of plaque
- Some gum diseases such as gingivitis and periodontal diseases can also cause damage to the gums and expose tooth's roots
Tooth Sensitivity Treatment Options
Visit a Bangkok dentist to find out what are the different options for treating your sensitive teeth and getting rid of this sharp and impulsive pain forever.
If you looking for dental clinic in Bangkok please visit PMDC Dental.